New Improved Winery Driveway...almost finished! Written by DanialMay 2012
In 1997 we pulled out the 18 acres of unviable Palomino & Pedro (big white grapes) vines in the front block of the Home Block. Since then nothing had been re planted on it. Today, after 15 years of wondering when we will get a chance to do it, while trying to ignore the untidy situation, 'the beautifying project' is on the go!
Using as much of our own resources as possible, with the extra satisfaction from doing it our selves, we are having so much fun making things happen.
Above is the driveway 'before shot'. The soil, 30 x 13 ton is what I trucked in from the Tattachillla Block to raise the level. On the right are 86 pencil pines & 164 butterfly iris plants.
The light pastel purple cloured flat rock shales were then dug out with our 30 ton excavator from Tatta, I trucked 13x13 ton loads to the site.
The Shale Rocks are beautiful when layed out on a track. Pity they are too big for cars to drive over, so I trucked in 8 x 13 ton loads of bluestone gravel from McLaren Vale Quarries.
The 30 ton excavator comes in handy to rip the ground for the feature pines and plants. Above, our composted grape pressings from 2008-2009 are good for improving the soil.
The rips were then disced, re leveled and rolled. It was time to lay shales on top for the permanent mulch.
Laying the shale rock. I'm in the loader, our right hand man David is keeping me in line. It was a lovely day which makes everything look straighter too!
Next is to plant!
Above, the Pencil Pines (Glauca type) and Butterly Iris's are layed out.
The 30 tonner excavator's rock breaker makes light work of punching holes for the pots to go into. There was no need for any hydraulic vibrating/breaking, it sunk down into the soft ripped ground like butter into hot bread. On the right; before the pots are put in; a shovel or 2 of grape seed compost with added 'blood & bone', organic rapid raiser style pellets, slow release fertiliser & a teaspoon of water crystals to make these little babies happy.
Here I am making an appearance to help plant as I finished the delicate job of punching holes with the excavator.
All went really well. I will get pics of the finished product in the next week or so.